January 6, 2015
The Bristol County Water Authority would like to remind all our customers to prevent frozen meters or water pipes during the very cold weather.
1. Seal all the openings where cold air may get into the pipes.
2. Insulate all water pipes from cold moving air and keep them dry.
3. Use either heater tapes wrapped around the pipes or a heated reflector lamp in a dry enclosed space.
4. If un-insulated pipes are exposed to an outside wall when it is very cold, let the water run at a slow constant flow, about the size of a pencil; this is cheaper than repairing it.
5. Leave cabinet doors in kitchen and bathrooms open to allow warmer air to circulate around pipes that are near outside walls.