It is the responsibility of the property owner to protect the service pipe and water meter from freezing. If your meter does freeze, the BCWA will replace the meter, and your account will be assessed a meter replacement fee. If the service pipe freezes, it is the owner’s responsibility to thaw the frozen pipe or consult a licensed plumber.
Tips on preventing your pipes from freezing:
- Insulate water meter and pipes in unheated spaces like garages, basements, and crawl spaces.
- Additionally, insulating hot water pipes will decrease your wait time for warm water.
- Repair broken and cracked windows, doors, and walls. Close all doors and windows near pipes, and make sure there is no draft.
- During cold weather (prolonged temperatures below 32 degrees), allow a slow trickle of water to flow through faucets connected to water pipes that run through unheated spaces.
- Disconnect garden hoses, and install covers on all outside faucets.
- Shut off water to outside faucets, and drain those water lines.