WATER SYSTEM IMPROVEMENT
NORTH MAIN STREET AND WATER STREET
For updates on the Water Street projects, check the Town of Warren website: www.townofwarren-ri.gov. Look for “Water Street Project” under the ‘News and Updates’ Tab.
To receive weekly email updates on the construction schedule, send an email to Town Planner Kate Michaud: firstname.lastname@example.org
The BCWA will replace water pipes in North Main Street and Water Street (from Main Street to School Street) during the spring and summer of 2017. The project involves replacing approximately 4000 feet of old 6” and 8” pipes with 12” diameter ductile iron pipe, creating a stronger connection between our transmission line in the Warren River and the bridge to Barrington. We will then be able to increased flow from Barrington into Warren through the bridge connection, should our transmission line under the river ever fail. Fire protection throughout the north end of Warren will be greatly increased.
BCWA has hired CB Utilities of Bristol to perform the work. The estimated project cost is $2,000,000, which includes the new water pipes, police traffic control and other related costs.
HOW WILL THIS WORK AFFECT YOU?
In order to perform these upgrades, the existing water pipe in Water Street must be taken out of service for several weeks. While the water pipe is shut down, water supply will be provided to customers through temporary above ground water bypass pipes. The Contractor will begin setting up the bypass piping in May. Along Water Street, these pipes will be connected directly to the homes and businesses.
The water supplied by the bypass pipes is safe to drink. It is tested and meets the same RI Dept. of Health water quality standards as the water from underground pipes. Because the pipe is laid above ground, the temperature of the water may be affected by outside temperatures and may be higher than normal.
Temporary water service piping at driveway entrances will be covered with a temporary ramp. At most parking lots and street crossings, the pipes will be buried below ground. There will also be smaller hoses connecting the bypass pipes to the buildings.
- Beginning in April, our Contractor will replace the water pipe in Main Street, and continuing to Water Street. The work on Main Street may be done during the night hours to lesson traffic congestion. Bypass piping will not be needed for the Main Street work.
- Installation of the bypass piping on Water Street will begin in May. Once complete, the installation of new water pipes in Water Street will begin and continue through the summer.
- Work on Water Street will require that sections of the road be closed during the weekdays, with traffic detours around the work zone. Parking will be restricted in the area of the work. Detour maps will be available on our website.
- If a planned water service shut-off is necessary, affected residents will be notified in advance with door hangers. Service interruptions will be minimized to the extent possible.
- Please use extra caution when walking, driving, biking or running in the construction project area and over any temporary piping structures
- BCWA will require the Contractor to maintain the work sites clean throughout the project and all areas will be restored to original conditions.
- All areas excavated will be restored and patched with temporary pavement.
- There will be no work done from Saturday, July 1st through Tuesday, July 4th.
- Police Officers will be present daily to maintain traffic in the construction work zone.
TEMPORARY INCONVENIENCE, PERMANENT IMPROVEMENTS
Clean, high quality drinking water and adequate fire protection is our ultimate objective in all this activity. We realize that there are going to be some inconveniences during the project such as noise, dust, water shutdowns, traffic detours and temporary pavement. We will strive to minimize the inconveniences and annoyances to our customers. Please keep in mind that these temporary inconveniences allow us to make permanent improvements to our system.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation. Should you have any questions or concerns about this project, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 401-245-2022 between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday – Friday. (245-5071 after hours).